CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, February 23, 2009

The Magic Kiss

Have you ever been amazed at how effective a kiss on an owie can be when your kids come crying to you about being hurt? It's like mothers have a miraculous soothing balm in their lips that automatically makes it all better. Even the worst pain can be instantly relieved with the touch of some loving lips. It's fabulous! I've never been quite sure how it worked, but I've always felt wonderfully powerful at being able to work such magic. I guess it's just one of the little gifts mothers are blessed with to make life a bit easier.

Well, the other day I had a little accident in the shower and needed some magic lips myself. Trying to keep my two-year-old from jumping in the shower himself with all his clothes on, I stepped in without watching where I was going. What do you know, my older son had showered earlier and left the squeegie on the shower floor right by the door. My first step happened to be right on the squeegie, which happened to be very slippery since the shower floor was still wet from previous showers, and before I knew it, my feet were out from under me and I was fast-approaching the tile floor. In an effort to avoid falling on my back (which already has injuries) I twisted my body, trying to catch myself with my one good arm (my other shoulder has an injury as well--I've had a bit of bad luck lately). I was successful at avoiding serious harm for the most part, but as I landed on the bathroom floor, my left foot crashed down on the shower door track, and it hurt, as my kids say, "way bad."

I struggled to my feet (or should I say "foot") and began dancing around the bathroom, wincing in pain and trying not to cry. My two-year-old just stared at me like I had gone mad, and I could tell he wasn't going to offer me any comfort. The only other person at home was my four-year-old daughter, so in an effort to find someone to complain to, I told Boston to run upstairs and get Regyn. He obeyed, and soon Regyn appeared in the doorway.

"What happened?" she asked, looking very concerned.

"I fell in the shower and hit my foot really hard. I'm in a lot of pain," I answered.

"Are you okay?"

"No," I lied. I was worried she would turn around and bound back up the stairs, returning back to life as normal. I was still in a lot of pain and wanted more sympathy. I reminded myself that she was only four. What could I possibly expect her to do? Still, I couldn't let her go yet. I was really hurting, and there was no one else to comfort me. I decided to try the "kiss it all better" trick and see if it worked on grown-ups, too.

"I think I need a kiss and a hug," I said, still hopping around on one foot.

I'm not sure what I expected, but it wasn't the look I received. Her eyes marked me up and down, finally staring straight at me as if to say, Are you serious?

It was then I remembered I was still butt naked! The vision of how it might look to a little girl to see her mother dancing around the bathroom this way entered my mind in a flash. I immediately stopped hopping and searched for my towel, which I couldn't find. There was a moment of awkward silence before I made a quick decision to let her off the hook. My owie felt better, even without the magic kiss.

"Actually, I think I'll be fine now. Thank you, sweetheart," I said and dismissed her. She didn't even glance behind her shoulder as she hurried out of the bathroom. I was sure she was thinking her mother was crazy, and I couldn't argue with her.

I picked up the offensive squeegie and threw it into the closet, and then carefully stumbled into the shower again. My foot was throbbing and a massive lump had swollen on top. I couldn't help but let the tears flow down my cheeks with the hot water. But then, I replayed in my mind the events of the morning, and my cries turned to laughter. What had I been thinking? Was I so desperate for a kiss better that I forgot the obvious--that I was still in my birthday suit?

The good news is I did finally get my magic kiss--after I was showered and clothed. And I can tell you that children have the perfect touch as well. The hug and kiss I was hoping for did make me feel a lot better (as did the ice pack and ibuprofin). So, if you are having a bad day, or you happen to slip in the shower, or you just have any type of little owie that needs loved better, don't hesitate to call one of your children to your aid. Just be sure to get dressed first!!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lori, It's Kira. I'm just wondering if it's ok that I'm laughing hyterically??!! My kids are looking at me funny. ARE YOU OK? This is so something that would happen to me, so, other than the naked, I can totally visualize!
Hope it doesn't get worse before it gets better!

Ashlie said...

Great story. I think when I hurt myself bad the main thought I have is don't swear. It's not worth swearing. That may say something about me. The funny thing is I have only sworn a handful of time in my entire life.

The Shaver Gang said...

Hi Lori, I hope that your foot is feeling better. I cherish the stage in life when my kids let the kissing the owie do its magic. Cami now just looks at me and says "Mom, that doesn't work anymore." But Kirsten still believes. She is always asking for and giving the magic kisses. Jeff's motto now is "It's a long ways away from the heart." Which doesn't give us the sympathy we are seeking, but puts it into reality that its not a mortal wound.:) I hope you have a good day

Julie Thurgood Summerhays said...

Oh my gosh - I am feeling really bad for you and your poor foot, but I(along with kira) am laughing at the thought of Regyn looking at you like you are a crazy naked woman - TOO FUNNY!! Hope that foot feels better soon:)

Natalie Winquist said...

wow lori- i haven't checked anybody's blogs for so long & now having read your last few posts- I am totally glad i caught up with ya! Loved your last few posts---SO spot on and so insightful! i feel the EXACT same way right now in this phase of my life. And as far as the shower "incident"-- i know it hurt and i'm glad to know you're okay now--but i gotta confess-- I WAS ROLLING! Naked hug requests & "stars in the belly"---never a boring day in the Conger household, is there!??! ;)TOO FUNNY!

Unknown said...

Zoe and I have now resorted to showering in our bathing suits just in case we have a similar experience. :) Thanks for the smiles anyway.