CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, May 11, 2009

Hip Hip Hooray for Mother's Day!

I've never liked Mother's Day.

When I was little, I thought it was a day to make children feel guilty for not treating their mothers better; and when I became a mother, I was certain the day came around every year simply to make me feel guilty for not treating my children better. I've often sat in church with a pit in my stomach as I've listened to speakers go on and on about their faithful, patient, loving mothers. Meanwhile, pictures of me yelling at my kids or telling them "just a minute," and then never finding the "minute" were reeling through my head, making me want to climb under the benches.
This year, I decided to completely change my outlook. I decided to celebrate Mother's Day! After all, I do love being a mother, and since I've reached the maturity to realize that motherhood is about a lot of things--perfection not being one of them--I made a conscious choice to soak up the day.

And it was well worth it.
Not only did I enjoy thinking of the women who have greatly influenced my life for good, like my own dear mother and mother-in-law, but I was the receiver of wonderfully sweet notes and goodies all week from my own children--and even my husband. I loved it! Instead of feeling guilty for all I do wrong, I basked in the sweetness of the reminders from those I love of a few things I may actually be doing right. I went to bed last night exhausted, but happy.
I've decided to share a few of my favorite notes from the week, and even a picture of my children and me on this blessed day (note how we're all smiling:)














































I especially love the portrait of me--if it was in color you would notice my hair is purple. I've never had purple hair, but who knows? Maybe it's a look I should try.
I hope your Mother's Day was just as fabulous as mine was! In the least, I hope you got a lot of wonderful pictures and love notes, because somehow they make it all worth while!

0 comments: