CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, August 24, 2009

It's the Most Wonderful Time of the Year!

My friend was telling me the other day about a commercial she saw that made her chuckle so hard she nearly fell off her treadmill. The familiar Christmas tune, "It's the Most Wonderful Time of the Year" was playing while a mother danced through a store, throwing school supplies in a cart.

How telling!

I have to admit the commencement of school this year snuck right up on me. In fact, last night I drew in a quick breath and panicked just a bit, quickly gathering my children to begin the bedtime process as I said, "You've got to get to bed early tonight. You've got school in the morning."

"I do?" came the reply. So much for preparing my children for the abrupt change in schedules.

And although we had a wonderful summer together, I must admit I was giggling with glee inside this morning when I awoke, looking forward to the first day in three months when my children won't ask me what they can do because they are bored. They are anxiously engaged in a good cause, and I don't have to do anything, I thought to myself. Oh, how I love school!

The truth is, the years of sending all four of my children out the door to catch the bus are approaching faster than I'd really like them to. I know there will come a day when I'll look back on these days and realize they were some of the best days of my life.

BUT until then . . .

I can't seem to get that Christmas song out of my head. "It's the most wonderful time of the year!"

5 comments:

Mara said...

Love it!

Diony said...

Lori, it is a wonderful time of year!!!I'm sure mother's are rejoicing all over the world. :)
How's the writing coming?

Ange said...

You crack me up!
Wish I could share in some of the "joy" in the air -
It's never my favorite thing when the kids go back. Honestly, If someone was doling out extra months of Summer, I'd be first in line. I love having the kids around, love the non-routine schedule, and love the sunshine!

Cathy said...

School kind of snuck up on us too. Especially the kids with early morning seminary. There is a lot of yawning going on around here.
It's time to write again, yeehaw!

The Martinez Fam said...

I prepared Mylee about as well as you did your kids!! I was so apprehensive (is that how you spell that?) about school starting and now that we've survived a week and Mylee has had everything on her chart done on time to catch the bus every morning and there hasn't been near as much fighting and my house has been much, much quieter, and I have had a good nap a couple times this last week, and the list could go on and on, I am beginning to wonder why I was so nervous about school starting!!:)