CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, December 28, 2009

Princesses, Tutu's, and Pink Nail Polish--How Far Do We Let This Go?

My three-year-old aspires to be a princess some day. This same child begs me to wear a skirt or princess dress every day, no matter what we are doing or where we are going. This child wants only one thing for Christmas--a microphone--to be able to sing with Hannah Montana and Taylor Swift, and when asked to cut out some pictures for preschool of appreciated items, this child chose bubble gum and pink, fluffy tutu's. When I pull out fingernail polish or make-up, especially lip stick, this child begs me for it incessantly.


I'm sure this all sounds perfectly normal for those of you who have raised little girls who are enamored with "girl stuff" and princesses, but to be perfectly honest, I'm starting to get a little concerned. I mean, it's not that I have anything against being a little fanatical about princesses; it's just that my three-year-old is . . .




. . . a boy!





It all seemed kinda cute at first. Whenever we would ask him his favorite color, he'd say "pink." Whenever his older sister played dress-up, he would participate. Whenever we'd paint our toenails, his would appear, and we figured since no one really saw them, what's the big deal? When he became addicted to watching Hannah Montana, I thought it was an interesting movie choice for a little boy, but hey, boys are rock stars, too, right? But now that he insists on wearing a fluffy skirt every day and gets upset when I tell him boys aren't princesses, it's starting to concern me just a little. I mean, how far should we let this go?


Finally, the other day when he was talking about his new wardrobe, I felt a need to intervene. "Son," I started.


"My name isn't 'Son,'" he corrected me with a little giggle.


Oh boy, we weren't off to a great start. I persisted anyway. "Boys grow up to be princes, not princesses."



His eyebrows puckered as he looked up at me as if to say, "What's a prince anyway?".


Not wanting to crush his wonderfully innocent idea of the world in one fatal blow, I proceeded carefully. "Only girls grow up to be princesses. You're a boy. In fact, you're a strong, handsome little boy."


My husband, eaves dropping on our little conversation, intervened at this point. "Oh forget it, Lori."


I looked back at him with wide eyes, as if to encourage support. I noticed an awful, dreadful fear in my heart at this point, and I began to wonder at what point we should stop this nonsense and put away anything to do with princesses.


Our little guy, who was still thinking over my comment about princes, now asked, "Only Cinderella is a princess?"


"Exactly!" I said.



"And Snow White?"


"Yes, yes, and Snow White."


At this, he thought about it all for a moment, and just when I was getting my hopes up that he was actually beginning to understand the concept, he said, "Well, when I get bigger and turn into a princess, then can I wear a dress?"


Okay, so he wasn't catching on.


What to do now. It's obvious a frank discussion is not the answer. So, at this point, i'm reverting to "Plan B." We've "lost" Hannah Montana, and the dress-up clothes have somehow disappeared as well. I told my older son to please start spending more time with this little guy, and I encouraged our four-year-old daughter to please spend less time with him. I can't say I think it will solve our little issue in a hurry, but a mom has to start somewhere!



Wish me luck!

7 comments:

Brian and Rebecca Nate said...

Good luck with this Lor, he's a pretty strong willed little boy. I bet he will find the movie and the nail polish! I saw you bustin' the moves out over at the lake house on Katie's blog, I wish I could've seen it in person! You looked great. Sorry we didn't make it over, hope you guys had a good New Years.

The Martinez Fam said...

I can totally picture the way Boston would have scrunched his forehead trying to understand what you were trying to explain to him.:) He's such a cutie!

Christine said...

Oh, man. You've really got your hands full there. I wish you he best. I really enjoyed your story. I hope you don't mind, but I quoted you on my blog post for tomorrow. I think others will enjoy this too, and maybe they'll have similar problems and be able to lend a hand.

Ange said...

Boston?????
This is cracking me up!
I think it's been way too long since we've seen you guys - for the life of me I can't picture Boston as a princess. Especially with Nate being as Mr. Sports as he is. Total anti-princess influence from the older brother.
I'm sure he'll grow out of it. In the mean time, be sure to take lots and lots of pictures :)
Miss you guys!

Carolyn Twede Frank said...

I love your blog. By the way, how did you put the music on there?

Melanie Bingham said...

I don't have any real advice other than we had some friends go through the same thing, they did receive some counseling the specifics I can't remember, but the boy has two brothers that are sports fanatics, it's just not his thing. He is extrememly popular at school, and was just last year the student body president of his jr. high.

Julie Thurgood Summerhays said...

Oh Lori, I am laughing So hard as I read this - I know I shouldn't, but he is SO darn cute in his skirt and Hannah movie - I LOVE that kid. Good luck with the "hiding"!!!