CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Friday, August 17, 2012

BYU Education Week

Just got back from BYU Education Week and my mind is in a flurry. And my heart. It was a wonderful experience. I have always wanted to go but could never swing it. This year I did. Thanks to Hallee and Nate (and Dan, of course) being willing to take care of things at home for a few days, I stole away with my mother-in-law and went to Provo. My darling sister-in-law, Jen, let us stay at her home there and got up early to fix us delicious breakfasts every day--omelets and smoothies and such. She's such a great hostess, seriously (man, I wish I would have taken a picture of her--she's darling). Never mind that she has four small children, including a 4-month-old baby and a husband who is equally wonderful but seldom home due to the fact that he is a graduate assistant to BYU football. Enough said, right?

Anyway, the last few days before it was time to leave I seriously debated whether I should go. I mean, I was dying for some inspiration and focus, but at the same time, I was deserting my family in the process of gaining what I hoped would make me a better mother and wife. Kind of ironic, don't ya think? In the end, I packed my bags and went, feeling only a little bit selfish. As I was headed out the door, Regyn began crying. "Why do you have to leave?" she asked. "I'm going to go learn how to be a better mom," I said. "But you already are!" she declared. I loved her for that comment. I took her in my arms and told her how much I loved her, then walked out to the car with a bit of a heavy heart.

Here I am with my booklet, my notebook and my bag of snacks, also my name tag.

Here is the booklet of classes. The theme this year was from Proverbs: "Where there is no vision, the people perish."
Not for long, however. I woke up the next morning eager to soak up as much knowledge and guidance as I possibly could get. The hard part is deciding which of the many amazing classes they offer to attend. Seriously.
Here is one page of the list of classes. There are tons more. Everything from gardening to food storage to parenting to legal issues and much, much more.
I ran from class to class all day, not even stopping for lunch. I had packed some snacks in my bag and munched on those during the breaks. One great thing was that one of my dear friends happened to be there all week, too. And I'm sorry to say I didn't get a picture with her, either, dabnabit. We attended some classes together, which was fun, then shared a wrap later in the afternoon and went to dinner together with her and her family that night. I was so tired by this point but she talked me into going to one of the night classes. It started at 8:30 p.m. (I know--late, right?). She told me I would not be disappointed.

She was right. The presenter was Scott L. Anderson. The topic was "A Perfect Brightness of Hope." It was a wonderful experience. The air was thick with the spirit. I laughed. I cried. I felt a desire to be better. It was everything I needed. I found myself so grateful for the gospel of Jesus Christ and for the spirit that teaches us more powerfully than anything else could. I went to bed that night tired but grateful.

Next morning I was just as eager. I again spent the day mulling over classes, jotting down notes and just soaking up all the information I could get on topics relevant to my life right now. It was like I was a seedling in a drought and the heavens had just opened up and poured light and knowledge down on me, livening my senses and awareness of all I need to do better in my life. I felt God's love so powerfully I could not speak. I felt like I was opening my mouth to the rain and just swallowing its living waters in as large of gulps as I could.

That night my sister-in-law, mother-in-law and I went to the Vocal Point Concert. What a treat! They were awesome. Their singing is amazing, but what impressed me the most was their charisma and their goodness. It emanated from them every time they spoke or sang. I highly recommend that opportunity if you ever get it. I loved it!
Don't know why this is sideways. I corrected it, but it keeps going back this way. Sorry.
After two-and-a-half days and 19 classes, I started home feeling refreshed, renewed and grateful. I had learned so much. I had remembered so much. Mostly, I had felt so much. And all of it made me want to be better. I realize the hard part is to live what I felt, to implement into my life the inspiration that came to me about my relationships and my responsibilities and my life, but at the same time, I must also remember it happens one day at a time. I can't conquer it all in one fail swoop, so I have to be patient enough to do what I can today.

One thing I seriously hope to do is keep this blog up better. My goodness, I have struggled with that this summer, and I'm sorry to say I have missed recording some darn good stuff, memories I never want to forget.

Life is so good. It's hard, but it's good. I start thinking about how good the Lord has been to me and I find myself asking why? The only thing I can figure out is that He just loves us more than we can comprehend. I felt that so strongly this week. God's love. It's amazing. It's truly more powerful than I can ever understand, but it's real. And if there's anyone He's more than anxious to bless, it's mothers and fathers. Families. We are not alone on this trek called life. And boy, am I grateful! I could never do this alone.

More soon.

2 comments:

Rhonda Cook said...

Awesome blog. I went with my three daughters. I have been doing off and on for 35 years. Mostly on. It has been an inspiration and I can't tell you the effect on my life and that of my families. Looking forward to next year. Thanks for sharing.

Glitzy Glass said...

Hey, funny, weird to read your opening. I think your amazing. Hope you don't mind I gave a suggestion for an enrichment night...YOU. Love you Lori!
Jen